SUBJECT: Coat of Arms for the 31st Engineer Battalion 3 JUN 1965
TO: Commanding Officer
31st Engineer Battalion
Fort Bliss, Texas 79906
- The coat of arms redesignated for the 31st Engineer Battalion on 16 August 1954 is rescinded.
- A coat of arms for the 31st Engineer Battalion is authorized. The blazon and symbolism are as follows:
SHIELD: Per Chevron wavy gales and argent, in chief two mullets of the last, in base on a spade sable on edelweiss proper.
MOTTO: Demonstramus (We Demonstrate)
The two stars allude to the arms of the town of Bischwiller in France (Alsace Ardennes). Considered a “hot spot”, the unit suffered its first casualties there. The wavy chevron represents Central Europe, the area in which the unit constructed bridges. The edelweiss refers to the Rhineland. The spade with edelweiss together with the two stars represent three battle honors awarded the unit for services in the European Theater, World War II.
- Each CARS regiment or separate (fixed organizational structure) battalion is authorized an organizational color. The shield of the coat of arms is embroidered on the eagle’s breast and the motto on a scroll held in the eagle’s beak.
- This authorization is in accordance with the following:
- Paragraph 68, AR 840-10, 23 August 1962
(Below is the original document, which has been recreated above.)
Many thanks to LTC Robert Dixon, 31st Engineer Battalion Commander, for providing this information.